Friday, August 14, 2015

Chasing sunsets

The Ventura County Fair
from Grant Park

It seems like I am consistently finding myself ignoring some aspect of my life ... my well being ... my sanity and spiritual wellness.

Recently I have been ignoring my "me" time.

Unfortunately this is an aspect of my life that often suffers as I concentrate on other issues.  I do not really have any time to spend "me" time.  I know there will not always be time for me, so I need to take advantage of it when I can.

This week has been a stressful week.  There have been so many things going on at work that I feel like I'm running in circles ... in thick mud ... carrying a 50 pound trashbag full of Jello.  I was feeling really worn out and was getting a little stressed.

The Ventura County Fair is running this time of year.  It is held at Seaside Park near the Ventura pier.

I had gone up into the hills above Ventura to take pictures about a week before.  Grant Park (known locally as The Cross) has a wonderful view.  I was able to take several pictures from there and was happy with them

I had an idea for a different picture ... the sun setting behind the fair and the pier.  I just needed to be near there at sunset.  I needed me time.

Seagulls swooping over the beach
I got some me time.

Thursday evening Pam and I went to the beach.  It was nice being out of the house ... and not being at work.  We made sure we got there about an hour before the sunset.

Pam waited in the car while I walked out toward the ocean ... this is a story in itself, but I will just say that my legs were not used to (and probably not ready to) walk in the sand for that distance.

The picture
the sun setting behind the fair
Spending the hour on the beach was really relaxing.  I took so many photos; caught several good shots.  I still haven't looked at them all, but many are very similar.

Seeing the pictures after I got home made everything about this week just fade away for a while.  The waiting and planning were worth the time. I definitely need to make sure I get some amount of me time on a somewhat regular basis, whether it's taking photos, riding my bike or just going for a walk.