Thursday, May 14, 2015

Born this way ...

Breakfast of champions
So I will tell you upfront that some of the things I am going to say may not be popular opinions.

My thoughts, my ramblings, my observations are just that ... mine.  And no, this isn't a huge LGBT advocacy spiel.

Well ... not really.

If you remember I did say that I've had a lot of random disconnected thoughts recently ... I may be proving that here.

When people tell me that I see things differently, or I think about things in an awkward way or whatever, I just shrug.  This is me ... it is the only way I have ever thought so it is normal to me.

A long time ago I began joking that I had ADHD.  I joked about it because somewhere in me I knew it was true.  A year or so ago I was tested and pretty much pegged the scale on the attention deficit aspect of the test, not so much on the hyperactive portion.

In short, I was born this way.

Does this make me a different person than you knew a few minutes ago?  ... a few months ago? ... years?

The creativity and imagination that distracted me during my school days are the same attributes that have moved me forward in life.  These are the same quirks that allow me to see things from different angles and find solutions that others cannot see.

Back in the 70s most people called ADHD hyperactive ... others called it spoiled or out of control kids.  It was not as common to give medication for these conditions.  Teachers, principals, parents, so many others did not understand that we weren't intentionally looking for excuses to break the rules or not complete our work

Much of the time they would say things like ...

Try a little harder ...

Behave like the others ...

Just focus ...

Apply yourself ...

Sneaking in through the fence
In other words, change who we are to fit in.  Alter how we feel and act to please others.

It is a little ironic that so many people don't hesitate to say things like, "He's a natural at his sport," ... "She was born to dance," ... "Music runs in their family."

Whatever ...

We don't ever seem to question these God given talents ...

They were born to do this ...

Anything positive is said to be a gift from God.

I don't hear many people say "She is blessed to be on the autism spectrum." ... "His gift is severe anxiety and depression." ... "He was born to have muscular dystrophy, or Parkinson's, or dementia."

Life is life ... it is what we make of it.

Now here I am saying that God has set me on this path of transitioning to female.  I am positive something good will come from this.

There are many who tell me that I am not truly female, that I have chosen to pretend to be something I am not ...

I am lying to myself ...

I have turned my back on God ...

I am an unrepentant sinner ...

In other words, I am supposed to change who I am to fit in.  Alter how I feel and act to please others.

beautiful flowers
outside the house
All I can do is shrug.  This is me ... it is how I have felt my entire life so it is normal to me.  I am at peace, I am happy and I have grown closer to God.  I know what my path is, and I don't expect anyone to truly understand.

In fairness I have to say that not many Christians are holier than thou, hate filled bigots.  The ones that are ruin the reputation for everyone.  To those who are adamant that my life is a conscious choice to live in sin, I have a question.

Were you born Christian?
John 3:18 (NIV)Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son. 
Romans 10:13 (NIV)
for, “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” 
Being Christian is a choice ... a lifestyle.  The Bible states it takes a conscious decision to become Christian.  It is not how anyone is born.

I can imagine dozens of people not reading to this sentence while screaming, "Here's another atheist, bleeding heart, left wing liberal spewing anti Christian sentiment to justify her sinning lifestyle."

Well ... wrong, wrong ... and wrong.

I am relatively conservative thinking, although libertarian leaning.  I think the constitution has a lot to say if everyone on both sides of the aisle stop creating interpretations that include their personal agendas.

I am Christian ... I just don't feel the need to yell and scream at everybody I feel is not acting the way the Bible and Jesus has said we should.  I prove more with the way I treat others than by quoting verses and judging other people's actions.
Matthew 6:1 (NIV)
Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.
Hebrews 12:14 (NIV)
Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord.
A little blue sky
peeking through
the clouds
What cracks me up is when these few defend their comments by saying, "I'm not attacking you personally ..."

Just to enlighten you, words like disgusting, abomination, atrocity, repugnant, vile, vulgar, repulsive, revolting and similar words are a tad bit hostile and are usually taken a little personally.

I do wonder why so many these Christians yell and scream and protest the LGBT community but don't feel the same acrimony toward other issues.

Why aren't there groups of angry Christians at every bar or club protesting those moral values or holding signs with I Samuel 1:14 on it
“How long are you going to stay drunk? Put away your wine.”
Why are there no marches at Islamic centers, Pagan festivals or other non-Christian celebrations?  Why don't they wave signs with Exodus 20:3?
"You shall have no other gods before me"
I am not saying people are not entitled to their opinions.  We all have our own perspectives ... our likes and dislikes, and talking to others in a civil an open manner is often a means to come to an understanding or a level of mutual respect with many people or groups.

Intentionally singling out a group to exclude them from one thing or another is called bigotry, discrimination, fanaticism.

To makes comments like, "We don't allow gays in our church." is just announcing your disregard for a person's spiritual  well being.

And how do you know there are no gays in your church?  Are you flirting with people of the same gender to see who is interested?

And if you are right and we are all doomed to hell shouldn't you be wanting us to be there?

Is this not like a hospital saying, "We don't treat the sick or injured ... only healthy people are welcome here."

A restaurant owner saying, "We will only serve those who have already eaten.  Hungry people don't belong here."

A homeless shelter only allowing people with proper identification and proof of residence or an address in for assistance.

A barber shop who only will accept naturally bald patrons.

A college not accepting an application because the person has not already earned their degree.

Wow ... I could run this list for several pages, but I think I've made the point.

We all live in one world.  We were all born with our strengths and weaknesses.  It is not for any of us to question what or why people are the way they are ... we just need to be there for them.
John 15:12  (NIV)
My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you
I am not trying to change the world ... not even my little corner of it.  I am trying to understand why so many have trouble sharing it.

Another flower with
fresh droplets of water
from today's rain
 
 
If you are not Christian, I hope you realize that not all of us are the screaming radicals the television media show.  I have too many friends who practice other religions ... or o religions.  I have learned much about love and acceptance from you ... especially self-acceptance.

If you are Christian, this post is not aimed at everyone.  I have too many friends that do not fall into the category of hateful, small minded bigot that I get so frustrated with.

I generally do not engage in political or religious discussions.  I just had to get this off my chest.