Friday, March 13, 2015

Traffic patterns

There are many things that go through my mind  ... often at the same time, but that's a different story.

Lately I've been taking short clips of video of how the drivers in our area behave in different circumstances.  I intend to use this as a training tool for the drivers at work.

As I began to pay more attention to certain details a few things occurred to me. 

Regardless of how far we drive it is highly unlikely that the traffic around us is going to the same place at the same time we are.  Even for big events like a concert or a ball game there are some of the cars that share the road that are not going there.

People enter and exit the road at different times ... some prefer the freeway while others take the scenic route ... we all have our own destinations.



If we are lucky we might find someone to travel with us ... to keep us company ... help us find our way ... to just be there while we head down the road.  Not everyone is this lucky ... not everyone wants a copilot.

Many times we find ourselves bogged down in traffic ... road construction, rush hour or an accident slows traffic to a crawl.  Sometimes we are the ones who have broken down or crashed.  It feels like the entire world is staring at us while we are stranded on the side of the road.

At some point we find someone that is not driving ... well ... they aren't driving the way we want them to.  They are driving too slow on a narrow highway, weaving in and out of traffic, tailgating us or any of a number of issues.

At some point we encounter the driver that doesn't like how we drive.  The wanted us to gun it through the caution light, drive 75 in a 65 zone or ... well.  I don't know what goes through their mind.

As I train drivers I tell them the hardest thing to learn is not allowing outside influences to alter how they are driving ... the weather, other drivers or other problems cannot force you to do something you know is not right.

Most of the time driving is safe ... part of a typical daily routine.  Sometimes it is difficult ... it can be unpredictable and sometimes dangerous.

Sounds a lot like life ... or closely parallels it anyway.

We are in control of our own vehicles ... our own journeys or destinies.

I am incredibly fortunate and blessed to have my beautiful Pam along for the ride.  Our journey has been filled with twists and turns, but we've grown stronger.



I am equally fortunate to have so many friends and family who have joined the convoy.  I do not know how long we will all be on this road together but, God willing, I hope it is for a very long time.

For those with road rage ... You drive however or wherever you want.  I will not allow those outside my vehicle to have an adverse impact on my driving.

We all deserve a happy journey.