Monday, July 22, 2013

Affirmations ...

There are some days when you feel like there is no wind filling your sails ... whatever momentum your ship may have had is gone and you're at drift on the open sea.

The last few days have been like this for me.

Not that anything horrible has happened.  It's more like my enthusiasm has been waning a bit ... I am not seeing the changes that are happening to me and within me ... I want to know things are improving.

Pam, Timmy, Sedona and I went to Sam's Club to get some stuff ... cat food ... paper plates ... and sinus medicine.  We picked up most everything we needed, but there was no off the shelf sinus medicine.  I sent the group to check out what we had and I would go to the pharmacy to get some legitimate Sudafed.

"Can I help you ma'am?"  The young clerk had a smile on his face.

I don't recall thinking about talking in my (close to) Tiffanie voice, but as the words started to come out they seemed a bit female sounding.  "Do you have generic Sudafed?"

"Yes."  He grabbed a box and turned toward the counter.  "We need to see your ID."

"No problem."  I grabbed my license ... the license with my legal name on it ... and a picture taken in 2005.

The young man glanced at the drivers license and quickly said, "Your license, ma'am."

I leaned forward and smiled.  "It's been a while since I had my photo taken."

The poor guy's face twisted and contorted into expressions I have never seen before.  "Ummm ... well, it's just ... ... this is you?  But we can't ... ummm ... well ... I'll be back."  He grabbed my license and walked over to a supervisor.  They chatted for a moment before he returned.  "We can't take this because ... umm ... well ..."

"Because it doesn't look like me?"

"Yes."  He heaved a sigh.  "I'm sorry ma'am."

"It's alright, hun."  I smiled.  "I undersatnd."

I walked away giggling.  Sometimes we need the affirmation to smack us upside the head to realize ho well things are going.

Pam eventually went back to buy what we needed.  I was on cloud nine because I know I look so different that the dude that occupied my body for so many years.