Saturday, August 18, 2012

Today is my birthday ...

OK yes ... it is actually my birthday as far as the calendar is concerned, but it kind of dawned on me ... Since I do not keep track of exact dates when I've done things, I cannot accurately say, "I've been transitioning to female since ... ... Whenever."

However - Since I opened up to my wife and told her in excess of 98% of the entire story about me I consider today my official Transition Birthday :-)

The reality is my wife me the best gift possible ... the gift of being myself.  And equally importantly, the gift of love, companionship, support and understanding while discovering myself.  I have felt a different level of happiness today that I have not felt since I first got married ... That happiness was tempered by the fear that my new wife, my soul-mate would discover my secret ... would find out I am female and would reject me .

I feel like I've been set free and the world is suddenly a more beautiful place.

The past few days have been a series of wonderful happenings.  One thing that seemed small at the time has turned out to give me a confidence boost that I didn't expect.  I showed my therapist my driver's license with a picture that was taken back in 2005 ... Short hair, mustache, phony smirk to try and hide the pain in my eyes.

"Wow," she said.  "There is quite a difference.  You are transitioning well."

Happy birthday to me.  I am giving myself the gift of living and loving in a way that I could only dream of before.  I am very lucky to be me.