Sunday, July 8, 2012

The good, the bad and the ugly.

I truly believe that much of life is what you make of it.  I am not going to recite the serenity prayer, nor will I discuss Zen philosophies involving flowing water and a rock, the lemons to lemonade thoughts or any other sentimental bull crap that suggests we must always make something good out of a bad situation.

The truth of the matter is some situations suck and there isn't anything you can do.

This weekend had all the potential of dynamite keg on an open flame ...

In the long run everything went pretty well.

I was able to avoid most of the stresses and whining by removing myself to my room and either listening to music or playing on the computer ... so I was not a part of the majority of the conversations.

I think maybe my biggest disappointment of the weekend was having nobody tell me "thank you" for barbecuing the dinner last night.  I had 1 compliment because the pork was good last night and another one today, but no thank yous.

The weekend did turn out to be very nice.  My nephew and niece announced they are expecting a baby.  My other nephew got his new car.  I was able to watch my UFC event without being disturbed too much. My brother actually talked to me like I am human rather than some sort of lesser being (although I still think he is trying to gather information on my clothing choices, he just doesn't have the guts to ask).

I did not dress overly feminine, but I was a bit past unisex with my clothing choices ... nobody seemed to notice or care.  I was not the care-free joking person I was at my company meeting ... I was a bit more guarded, but I was also a bit more stressed.  I think I did alright.

I am happy the weekend went well, but even happier that everyone is gone.  Tomorrow is back to work ... bummer.