Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Sometimes it's the little things ...

Just a quick note.

I know I am at the beginning of a journey that will last the rest of my life.  I know I have not done anything of significance regarding my transformation.  I do not expect to wake up tomorrow and magically be, look like or even be accepted as a female ... this will all take time and patience.

My brain continues to drive me nuts with conflicted thoughts ... Go, stop ... relief, anxiety ... excitement, fear and so on and so on.

The past 2 weeks I've driving a bus route.  The children on the bus are high functioning special needs students in post secondary school.  I've had a great time driving them.  Today one of the girls was asking me questions about random stuff.  Out of the blue she asks, "why do you wear earrings?"

I said, "Because I like them."

She said, "Would it bother you if I said you look like a girl with your long hair and earrings."

"Why would it bother me?  I think it's a compliment."  Inside I'm jumping up and down, very excited and wanting to hug her.  She just made my day.

"That doesn't upset you ... offend you."  She seemed a bit confused.

"Not in the least," I said.  "I thinks it's a nice thing."  I was not about to get into the subjest of transsexuals, transition or other topics along those lines.

I know I still look much more dude-like and not very ladylike ... and I also realize that one statement from one person does not mean a lot in the big scheme of things, but sometimes it's the little things that make the difference between a good day and a bad day ... that give that tiny affirmation that you are heading in the right direction.